
This week in Bible study I was talking to my girls about the difference between love and lust. It never fails in every class I’ve taught that some girl will raise her hand and ask me the question “But what about when a boy tells you that he loves you?” in response to me discouraging dating relationships until they’re older. The boys here are always telling the girls they love them, attempting to draw them into a sexual relationship. And the girls believe it because they haven’t been taught differently and, of course, cherish the idea of being loved. Most of them have never heard the word “lust” before and they confuse sexual desire with love. After reading 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 I read two stories from the Bible to demonstrate the differences -- the story of Amnon and Tamar from 2 Samuel 13, and the story of Mary and Joseph from Matthew 1. These basic teachings are great eye openers for teens here. It helps give the young girls discernment and the empowerment to stand up for themselves and say no to sexual pressure, and it hopefully helps the boys to see their desires for what they are, and to be encouraged to be more respectful of girls.
1 comment:
You have done such a great job with those girls there in Botswana! You will be missed. I hope you will be able to stay in contact with them after you leave.
Post a Comment