

On a trip to Uganda my friend Laura discovered the art of making paper beads; a craft that African women were doing there to earn money to support their families. Upon returning to Botswana she taught some young women in her village this skill. The beads make beautiful jewelry and I asked her to teach me how to make them. It’s sort of an addicting craft, especially when you’re living alone. It can be very meditative. After getting the hang of it I decided to teach a couple of young, single mothers in my church in hopes that it could help them make some extra money to support themselves. I taught Galase and Ipeleng. Galase especially has taken off with it. She’s made several of the necklaces which she has been able to sell to our recent volunteer team members, other missionaries, church members and people in the community.
Photos: Galase in her home village; Necklaces made with from African beads.
2 comments:
The paper jewelry is really cool. Great idea to teach others.
I sent you an e-mail -- you need to get in touch with Melody Harper at the IMB. She's asking you about an extended term in the US to recruit students. Copy me, please. If you don't have Melody's e-mail address, write me.
Bob A
I love the necklaces and earrings I bought from Laura when we were out there. I still where them all the time and see a couple other girls that went wearing them too. My friends and family that I gave the beads too also like them alot and wear them often. I want to learn how to make them!
Post a Comment