“...We are the clay, and you are the Potter. We are all formed by Your hand.” Isaiah 64:8About a month ago I started taking pottery lessons in the nearby village of Otse. Every time I’m there I can’t help but have Isaiah 64:8 running through my head as my hands are forming the clay. Our Father is the potter and we are the clay. I quickly discovered that turning a lumpy chunk of clay into something beautiful is a lot more difficult than it looks.
I have to squeeze and place pressure on the clay in just the right spots to even out all the lumps, being careful to keep the clay in the center of the wheel. As the lumps slowly even out I can begin helping the clay to slowly rise up, being cautious to make the walls of the piece not too thick or thin, but just right.
If that is all done correctly than I can shape the piece into a mug or a bowl or a vase. After the piece has been formed into the desired shape it still has to go through the fire to make it strong and firm enough to last. It eventually becomes something beautiful, not on it’s own, and not without hard work and guidance. I’m thankful that my Father loves me enough to be my Potter. He’s willing to patiently mold me, getting rid of all my “lumps”, and even allows me to endure times of fire so that I might become stronger.
The times of pain or discomfort are always worth it because He’s shaping me into something that will eventually be beautiful and pleasing to Him.
1 comment:
Shawna if your the clay are you allowing yourself to follow God's call for your life?
Phil 3:14
Gen 12:1-4
Post a Comment