Monday, July 09, 2007

The 4th Of July


The American embassy had a party to celebrate our Independence Day on Saturday. It was great (and a little weird!) to be at a gathering with all Americans! There were lots of other missionaries, embassy workers, Peace Corps workers, people working in health care, etc. It was a fun time of fellowship. And even though it’s winter here, we were blessed with a warm, sunny day.
They asked me to give a speech... okay, just joking! We just had a little fun taking over the podium for awhile... we gave speech’s to each other :-)

I love this photo of Kendall, one of our MK’s, ... he’s the all American boy. He was sitting on this bench after getting soaked bobbing for apples.

It’s interesting how your perception of American culture shifts when you're no longer a part of it. One thing that I am grateful for is all the blessings I have had just because I’m an American. I don’t think it’s something we can completely grasp until we’ve lived, or at least spent some time, overseas. I read a quote recently that went something like: “I read those bumper stickers that say ‘God Bless America’, but God has blessed America!” It’s true, God has blessed American abundantly. We have a lot to be thankful for.

3 comments:

Monroe Elementary said...

S - When you return to the states, we will give you a podium to give your speech! Ha ha.... but you better thank me!!!

Anonymous said...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, here to talk about her new book, "101 Meats You Can Eat" Please welcome to the stage Shawna Lenhert." (round of applause)

lol

This of course was the follow-up book to, "Bats Are People Too."

chantelle said...

We are truly blessed here in America, and I think you have a better understanding of that than I do. We sure miss you, "Shawana," and look forward to seeing you at the end of Sept. We pray for you everyday.