
I just had an absolutely amazing week! There is an organization called the Christian Hospitality Network from the States who once a year organizes a missionary retreat in a different area of the world. I was blessed since this year the retreat happened to be in my neck of the woods, sort of... Victoria Falls, about 12 hours north of me. Their vision is to give missionaries a time of retreat and refreshment in order for them to be able to minister more effectively. This means we were completely pampered. Not that I believe I in any way deserved this type of treatment, but I was not complaining about my beautiful hotel room with an incredible view of the Zambezi River. (Jill - this first photo is for you, I finally made it!!)
There were many extraordinary things that happened this week including:
Going rafting on the Zambezi River with some of the toughest rapids in the world (photos to come later).
Seeing Victoria Falls - one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. 

Jumping off a 350 foot cliff 3 different times. The first time was called the Flying Fox. It’s a cord that stretches over the gorge. You put on a harness then literally run off the edge of the plank over the gorge and fly across like Superman. The second time was a zip line that hangs from one of the gorge to the other side. You take off at a sharp drop and zoom across the gorge - I went tandum with my friend Kelly so that we could go even faster. The third jump was by far the most difficult. To be honest, if I had realized what it was beforehand I probably wouldn’t have signed up for it! You literally step off the edge of the 350 foot cliff and drop at a 210 foot freefall before the rope catches you and swings you out (see photo). The drop is more than twice as long as doing the bungee jump. I think I almost had a heart attack, but I did survive. The photo on the balcony over the gorge is Kelly, Stacie, Reema and I after conquering all three jumps.
I also had a monkey sneak passed me while I was out on my balcony one morning. He got into my room and when I heard a noise and turned I around he was grabbing my bag of Snickers bars off the table and heading back outside. He sat comfortably back out on the balcony unwrapping and enjoying my candy.
We were also able to get some great shopping done for African curios since things tend to be much cheaper in Zimbabwe than in Botswana. Here is a photo of a typical market.
Unfortunately our time came to an end and we did have to leave. But the adventures are never over in Africa....on the way home we were stopped by elephants in the road.
1 comment:
Shawna, looks like you DID have a great time in Zimbabwe doing many adventerous things. I got to go there too, but no crazy jumping or rafting for me!
Post a Comment