
Once again we had our annual prayer retreat over New Years. It was really a wonderful time of spiritual refreshment. We had a volunteer team from the States come to help and a pastor who spoke to us daily. I forgot what it’s like to be fed the way I used to be back home through sermons... it was a blessing to me spiritually.
(Photo: At a game night during the retreat we played a game of crab soccer with the adults against the kids.)
For New Year’s Eve all of us cool, single missionaries :-) went out on the town. All of us were journeymen except for my friend Matt who is with an organization called Kings Foundation. He came down from Botswana to join us for New Years. We ate at a nice restaurant then went back to the home of some missionary friends and played games and danced in the new year. (Photo: (back row) Matt, Nate, and Jimmy; (middle row) Carmel, Emily, Kristi, Reema, and Stacie; (front) Crystal, me, and Kelly.)

(Photo: eating New Years dinner at the Meat Co.)

Some of us decided to stay over in Joburg a couple of extra days to hang out. We went shopping, ate at McDonalds(!), went to the Apartheid museum (incredible!), and ate at a well known restaurant called the Carnivore.

At the Carnivore they seat you and then just begin bringing food to your table. It starts with bread, soup and salad and then progresses to huge skewers of game meat. I ate warthog, impala, eland, kudu, crocodile, and ostrich all in one sitting!

There's not really any reason to include this photo except that it's fun! Kelly, me and Emily riding a hippo after lunch at the Carnivore. Here's a fun fact... hippo's kill more people than any other African animal! (Good thing this one's not real :-)
2 comments:
Hi, Shawna! My name is Ed Pettitt and I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer in Botswana - in New Xade, to be exact. I just came across your blog and am really interested in the work you're doing with Operation HIV. I'm an HIV/AIDS volunteer at the clinic in New Xade and I'm also involved with one of our local churches, the African Evangelical Church at New Xade. I'd like to know if you have any ideas or HIV/AIDS- related materials that might help me reach out to the congregation. We're pretty remote with no phone lines, cell network or electricity, but I check my email when I come to Ghanzi (the nearest town - about 70km from New Xade). Our village consists mostly of San Bushmen relocated from the CKGR (you have probably heard a lot about the court case, since you're in Lobatse). Anyways, please email me back at edpettitt@gmail.com - also let me know if there are any other journeymen in Ghanzi district - I'm always looking for opportunities to fellowship. We had a group from World Mission Centre in SA come to New Xade for a few months back in Sept-Nov. It would be great if another group came out here - there's a lot of work to be done (in a lot of areas). Well, I'd love to hear back from you!
Yours,
Ed
Sunday I saw a room full of people prepping for Botswana at the church office. They all looked friendly except for the leader (just kidding).
I can't believe you have been gone for this long. Its already Jan 2007.
Check us out at http://www.rodandjen.com
I'm finally blogging
Post a Comment