Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Adventures at the Department of Transportation

So since I’m officially a resident of Botswana I’m also supposed to have my Botswana drivers license. I’ve been putting it off (you’ll soon find out why), but decided to finally make the time this week.

Day 1 - I enter the Department of Transportation armed with my passport, residence permit , and California drivers license....what else could I need? The clerk took one look at my items and informed me that I needed to bring in copies of all these items with me (they didn’t have a copy machine). I leave the office not too discouraged, one more trip should do it....

Day 2 - I enter the Department of Transportation with copies of all my important documents and hand them to the clerk who flips through them. “You haven’t copied the back side of your license.” Do you know what’s on the back side of your drivers license? Take a look, its a black bar, that’s all, but okay. “Oh, you also need to fill out an application.” I leave the department with the application and a small sigh, ready to return again tomorrow.

Day 3 - I return to the Department of Transport with all copies of my important documents, including the back of my drivers license, and my application. I turn these items into the clerk. Now, I’m all set on my documents, but I still need an eye test. Unfortunately the room where the eye test takes place is under renovation for the afternoon, so, yes you guessed it, I have to go back tomorrow. Fortunately, my new friend at the department says that he will look forward to seeing me tomorrow - hey, maybe this will help with some expedited customer service.

Day 4 - I enter the Department of Transport which, unfortunately, is packed today. I calmly wait at the desk where you need to get the eye test... 10 minutes, 20 minutes, no one comes. I cut in line at the other desk where my friend from yesterday is working...”Oh, I am not working at that desk today, you must wait for someone else.” I return to the empty desk and wait some more. After 40 minutes has gone by, and lunch time is quickly approaching when I’m afraid they will all leave and I’ll have to go back again tomorrow, I go sit calmly in the line of vision of my Department of Transport friend. Yeah! He sees that I am still there and gets up, leaving those still in line hanging (I kinda feel a little bad...okay, not really), and beckons me back to give me my eye test. I have no idea how I did on the test, but I think he liked me so I passed. Then I had to take the paper with my test results, my application and all my copies to another line. I sat calmly in this line until it was finally my turn. Half way through looking at my paper work and typing it into the computer my new friend, the guy who actually gives the license, realizes that the office is empty. “Oh, it is time for me to go to lunch.” After some begging, pleading, and promises to pray about the possibility that God has orchestrated our meeting for the purpose of marriage, I convinced him to stay late and finish one last customer before lunch.
Success! He hands me the license and I’m free from returning to the Department of Transport any more this week, or anytime soon for that matter.

1 comment:

kirkseyboy said...

Shawna is marrying an African guy? :)