Friday, February 24, 2006

Molapowabojang


Okay, I know you are all longing for an update. Hopefully you’ll stop harassing me after this :-) Most of you know I’ve been without computer for more than a month now, so I have a good excuse.
Here is a photo of Molapowabojang (points for anyone who can correctly pronounce that!), the village where one of my schools is located. This is the school where you have to take the students seriously when they tell you a goat ate their homework (a goat walked into my classroom on one of the first days of school, he wandered around for a few minutes, picked up a piece of notebook paper off the floor, began eating it, then left). Besides goats in the classroom, another difference from the US is that students get beaten at school for misbehaving. My first day of classes, Ndori, a fellow teacher at the school, introduced me and threatened to beat the students if they didn’t respect me. Needless to say, unlike junior high schools in America, I haven’t had many behavioral problems in the classroom.

No comments: